Friday, July 27, 2012

AJ's Swim Classes


Back in June at the Abbot Ice Cream Social we won a raffle for swim lessons at Goldfish Swim School.  I was excited but AJ was NOT at all.  He hates getting his face wet and knew that if he did swim classes he would have to get it wet.  I signed him up for this week.  The classes were 30 minutes for the 5 days.  

Sunday before the first class AJ had major anxiety about it.  He kept asking me questions about what they were going to make him do.  His final question was "How many of these classes to I HAVE to do?"  I was beginning to think that getting him to go to these classes was going to be a nightmare. 
Boy, I was WRONG!  

The first class was the hardest.  I sat and watched him and just cried.  It was so hard to watch him overcome some anxiety and not to anything to "make it better".  As his Mom, I want to make everything the best for him.  I couldn't with this, he was going to have to be uncomfortable and get over his anxiety about getting his face wet.  

On the first day his teacher, Miss Lauren had him get his face wet and he couldn't go and dry it.  He almost started to cry, but he held it together and started to get over the fact that his face was wet.  He kept looking for me and giving me the thumbs up sign.  I could see in his face that he was dealing with his anxiety.  I was SO proud of him!  



The last 5 minutes of class they have the parents come in and watch what they are doing.  Here is the picture of AJ putting his face in the water while swimming with Miss Lauren.  


He got this ribbon on the first class.  It says: Goldfish Swim School - HIPP-HIPP-HOORAY, I PUT MY FACE IN TODAY!  He is so proud of this ribbon.  

After class, he wanted to buy a bear that they had there with a Goldfish shirt on it.  I told him that if he came and did every class that I would buy him a shirt to go on this OceanBear that he got from Build-A-Bear.

On the second day, he gave me a little bit of grief going to class.  He didn't fight much, but would have preferred to stay home.  Once we got there, he did just fine.


One of the skills he practiced was floating on his back for 10 seconds.  I love how he looks with his arms and legs spread apart.  



This picture is my favorite since his whole head is almost under water.  This is a MAJOR accomplishment for him.  When he came up he didn't need to wipe his face off right away.  What a great day!

I love watching him swim and kick his legs!

By Thursday, AJ was more excited to go to class.  His anxiety about it was over and he couldn't wait until his class started.



One of the activities they do in class is hang on to a bar in the water and practice kicking their legs and put their face in the water.  They do it as a whole class.  

On the last day, AJ wore his Goldfish shirt that he was given with the raffle.  He hadn't wanted to wear it until today.  He was excited but sad that classes were ending today.  I love to hear that.



 Waiting for class can be so hard sometimes.


Using a kickboard for the first time to work on kicking.  He looked so good using the kickboard.   AJ was lucky to have two teachers for the last 3 days.


Mr. Derrick helped him when I came in today to watch him.  He was working on arms and kicking.  He even put his face in all by himself when he was told too!  That is such an accomplishment!


Love him with the goggles on!  


After the class, he got a ribbon and a medal.  The ribbon says: Goldfish Swim School - I CAN FLOAT ON MY BACK IN THE WATER, JUST LIKE A SEA OTTER!

And just like I promised: a Goldfish shirt for his OceanBear.  He couldn't decide between the blue and orange so I got him both.  He had done so good all week that he earned them.   I am such a proud Momma!


The whole point of the classes were to help AJ get over hating getting his face wet and I think it has been a success!  He still doesn't love getting his face wet, but he can stand it enough to get through getting his hair washed or being splashed.  This is just the start.



No comments:

Post a Comment